Summit London 2017 | Just A Drop .
Summit London 2017 | Just A Drop
Summit London 2017 is partnering with Just A Drop to bring clean drinking water to the students and citizens in Kawama School and Village, Zambia.
Currently, people fetch their water from a covered well in the village, but the water is
contaminated and leads to at least 1 or 2 cases of illness each week, particularly amongst the young. When our Project Officer for Zambia, Colonel Peter Marsh visited Kawama he spoke with a resident of the village, Honest Mantali, who said her grandchildren were regularly sick with diarrhoea.
To address these issues, Just a Drop will carry out the following activities:
• Mobilisation of the community
• Training of the community in basic hand pump maintenance and repair
• Drilling of a borehole, to reach water which is available year round
• Building of a hand pump, to extract the water
• Hygiene and sanitation education, to improve health into the long-term
This borehole will provide clean and safe water to every member of the community and the outcomes are clear:
• Health will improve with a reduction in the incidence of water-borne diseases
• Women and girls will have improved productivity, spending more time in education and
following other productive pursuits, such as tending to their crops, improving lives into the
future – and being in a position to help themselves
• The community will be more empowered through resource ownership and management and in a much better position to help themselves, rather than rely on any hand-outs, or aid
Raffle River has helped Summit London 2017 | Just A Drop
Christy Vaught, Main Contact
Join The Team