St Andrew's Episcopal Church .
The Drawing has been held for this raffle. Congratulations to Ed Fultz of Odom, GA! The proud new owner of a 1962 Thunderbird.
At the direction of Bishop Stephen Elliot, a group of planters and other citizens of McIntosh County organized a mission congregation under the name St. Peter's Church, Darien in 1841. A year later, the name of the congregation was changed to St. Andrew's and the congregation was admitted as a parish in the diocese in 1843. The first church building was completed in 1844. The Civil War was not kind to Darien or St. Andrew's. From 1862 to 1866, the parish was abandoned. In 1863, Union troops, including the 54th Massachusetts under the command of Colonel Robert Shaw, burned Darien. After the war, Mrs. Shaw and some of her friends sent money to assist in the rebuilding of St. Andrew's. Although those funds were in fact used to construct a church at the Ridge, members of the parish eventually raised the funds to buy the lot where the Bank of Darien had previously stood and to construct the present St. Andrew's church building. The building was completed and consecrated in 1879. One of the most photographed buildings in Darien, St. Andrew's looks out on Vernon Square.
Raffle River has helped St Andrew's Episcopal Church
Tom Gore , Main Contact
Join The Team